A Live CD containing flashrom provides a user with a stable work environment to read, write and verify a flash device on any supported hardware.
It can help avoid Linux installation issues, which can be a hassle for some users.
Existing Live CDs with flashrom
flashrom is already shipped in various recent live CDs. Many of those based on popular distributions such as Debian or Fedora and so on will already contain flashrom.
Debian live CD
- Debian 6.0.1-live (flashrom TODO)
- grml 2011.05 (flashrom 0.9.2+r1141-2)
Note: You need the regular grml ISO, the "medium" and "small" ISOs do not contain flashrom.
Custom flashrom Live CD
This is a work in progress. The current beta ISO based on Debian may be downloaded here: Flashrom Live_CD-Debian-0.1
Pre-built flashrom packages for various Linux distributions and scripts to build Flashrom Live-CDs are hosted at flashrom-live-cd.
Included software packages
- Linux kernel.
- Complete and automatic hardware detection, not requiring any driver to be added.
- Mounts $windows drive read only
- acpid, av, binutils, bison, busybox, bzip2, cabextract, cpio, curl, cvs, dev-util/git, dhcpcd, diffutils, dmidecode, dosfstools, ethtool, flex, ftp, gdb, grep, hwsetup, iputils, iproute, irssi, joe, lftp, livecd-tools, links, lsof, lynx, lzma-utils, mdadm, minicom, nano, ngrep, ntfsprogs, openssh, openvpn, pciutils, picocom, pptpclient, quilt, rp-pppoe, screen, strace, subversion, tar, telnet-bsd, tftp-hpa, unrar, valgrind, vim, wget, wireless-tools, wpa_supplicant, xc, zip
Complete toolchain for
Size of ISO-image is <185 MBytes. Small enough to fit on a flash drive or 3" CD-ROM.