Difference between revisions of "Libflashrom"
(Start documenting libflashrom status, TODOs, API, etc.)
(First overview of the API. Unfinished.)
|Line 12:||Line 12:|
== API ==
== API ==
Revision as of 22:01, 13 July 2011
libflashrom is a shared library which can be used to write programs which need to detect/read/write/erase flash ROM chips using various programmers.
It is, among other things, useful so that different frontends can be written (a command-line tool, various GUIs, libpayload integration, others).
Work in progress.
$ make libflashrom.a
The following sections describe how a libflashrom API could look like. This is just a first attempt, it's not yet finished and not yet implemented. Comments welcome.
fl_init() Initialize libflashrom.
fl_shutdown() Shut down libflashrom, close devices or files, free all resources, etc.
fl_set_loglevel() Set the loglevel which libflashrom should use to output errors/warnings/info/debug messages. Valid loglevels: TODO.
fl_set_log_callback() Set a callback function which will be invoked whenever libflashrom wants to output messages. This allows frontends to do whatever they see fit with such messages, e.g. write them to syslog, or to file, or print them in a GUI window, etc.
fl_version() Return one or more version items of libflashrom, e.g. the lib major/minor/micro version number, the svn revision, or similar.
fl_sysinfo() Return some information about the (build- and host-) system, which libflashrom knows about, e.g. gcc version used, libpci version, uname, etc.
fl_supported_programmers() Get a list of supported programmers.
fl_supported_chips() Get a list of supported flash ROM chips.
fl_supported_boards() Get a list of supported mainboards.
fl_supported_chipsets() Get a list of supported chipsets.
fl_programmer_init() Initialize the specified programmer.
fl_programmer_shutdown() Shut down the specified programmer.
fl_programmer_capabilities() Get the capabilities of the specified programmer. Valid capabilities: TODO.
fl_image_read() Read the current image from the specified ROM chip.
fl_image_write() Write the specified image to the specified ROM chip.
fl_image_erase() Erase the specified ROM chip.
fl_image_verify() Verify if the specified image is the same as the contents of the specified ROM chip.
This is a random list of TODO items which need to be fixed in order to make a usable and useful libflashrom.
- There should be one single flashrom.h or libflashrom.h include file, which contains (only!) the function prototypes and macros which belong to the public libflashrom API.
- All functions and macros of the public API should have a prefix in order to not pollute the namespace of the programs that link against libflashrom.
- Suggestion: fl_ and FL_. Examples: fl_init() or FL_ERR_MALLOC.
- No function in libflashrom is allowed to call exit().
- All public API functions should return meaningful and unique error codes (which should have useful macros/names such as FL_OK, FL_ERR_MALLOC, etc.).
- pkg-config support would be nice, i.e., some simple libflashrom.pc file.